Sunday, July 14, 2019

Funko POP Constantine DC Super Heroes 255 (Free Comic Book Day Edition)

If you've read my posts for a while, you'll know that I'm an avid collector of all things Hellblazer.  So when Hellblazer main character John Constantine started showing up in both the TV series Legends of Tomorrow and in the DC Animated Universe, I naturally readied myself for a stream of new merchandise.  And while there's certainly been some (as my archives can attest), there hadn't been a Funko figure until just a couple of months ago.

It was much to my irritation that the figure ended up being released as a limited run edition of 20,000 (sold in comic shops on Free Comic Book Day, 4 May, 2019), because while I'm happy with my one Pop of Constantine, with a minor paint job, the design would also be perfect as Pete Wisdom (a Marvel Comics character with a similar style but with black hair and coat).  And while I'd be happy to customize a regular release, the idea of paying extra for a limited run figure just to turn it into something else just isn't something I'm comfortable doing.

But either way, let's take a look at this one!




In the box.

The side of the box.

The back of the box.
.
Free from the box and ready to cast a spell.
.
Enjoying the plants, in full sunlight.


Rear view: I love the way the trench coat flares out for that flapping effect.
Left side view: you can see his cigarette lighter from this side.
.
Right side view: with flame in hand.
.
A parting glance.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this figure. I often find human characters to be a little underwhelming in POP form, but this one definitely captures the essence of Constantine.  I just hope that someday they release a regular edition as well!

11 comments:

  1. It is annoying when a fairly basic item (Funko Pops are ubiquitous and Constantine is a well-known character) is only given such limited release. I can relate, as for the longest time the only articulated Curvy Barbie dolls were Barbie Convention exclusive dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I can understand limited-run releases when it comes to smaller properties (or on the flip side, limited runs of alternate versions of the very popular characters), but this choice baffles me. I'm glad I was able to pick him up though.

      Delete
  2. Nice photos. I love Funko Pops, I have a few. I used to buy them like lottery cards, but I have slowed down. I also like the Rock Candy line and the Wobblers. Also, I agree with you and Barb, it's ridiculous when they make a small amount of products that a lot of people would buy. I don't understand this companies.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it builds buzz if some figures are more scarce, but surely they'd be happier making the extra sales of a larger run? It makes no sense to me!

      I really like the Rock Candy line as well. I only have one of them (Batwoman), but I appreciate the level of detail there.

      Delete
  3. I like the detailing on this figure. I know sometimes Pop vinyls lack detailing but this one is different. Maybe being a limited edition helps with that! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that they posed him mid-step rather than just standing up straight. I think that adds a bit of dynamism that most of my other Pop figures don't have. :)

      Delete
  4. Ah yes, I actually know this character!! And I like him, and his outfit is very good too, I also like how his trench coat flares out like that at the back.
    He's great, very well done!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "flapping"-style of the coat is definitely my favourite part of this one! :)

      Delete
  5. Funko Pops are fun to collect, this one has great details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic on pop box

    ReplyDelete