Monday, April 7, 2014

Out of the Box: Pipos Dark Rabbit

Sometimes called "Shorty", sometimes "Devil Bunny" and sometimes just "The Gentleman",  this well-dressed rabbit is my only anthro-doll.  One of the releases from Pipos' 2010 Alice in Nightmare series of limited edition versions of their dolls, this bunny stuck me as the perfect animal to add to my otherwise very human collection.  The fact that he would also be a welcome adventure to my humour blog "Project Evil Bunny" was also an added benefit.

Despite having what looks like a blue glow, this doll is actually cast in purple resin - the pinks, blues and blacks are all paintwork.  Being painted in such a specific manner (and as such a specific character), I've kept this guy in his default outfit since day one.

The outfit itself is lovely, and is comprised of 8 individual pieces.  The cape in particular is fantastically detailed for such a small piece, including lace edging, embroidered details as well as beadwork.  Incidentally, I believe most of Pipos' outfits have a similar level of quality and detail - I purchased a simple black dress from their basic collection at the same time, and it proved to be a very well made (and again impressively detailed) piece of doll clothing.
The gentleman rabbit on his chessboard stand.

Up-close and personal with the Dark Rabbit.
In addition to the doll and clothes, this doll also came with a pocket watch and a chessboard-inspired display base.  While attractive, the base is not a doll stand, and since one is really required to keep this doll upright, this piece is less practical than it might be.


10 comments:

  1. This rabbit's clothes are fantastic! I find his overall look sinister and friendly at the same time :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's exactly that combination of friendly and sinister that attracted me to this one in the first place - you can imagine him thinking sneaky thoughts! ;)

      Delete
  2. omgggg Alice in Wonderland... love it! Too bad the chessboard is not a doll stand because he looks awesome standing on it! This is my favorite of your posts so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I've sometimes thought that I might try to mod the chessboard into a proper stand (since it's a shame not to have it on display), but since it's resin, it would take some serious drilling, and I've been too lazy to attempt it so far! ;)

      Delete
  3. Pipos definitely turn out some lovely anthro pieces and this one is no exception. I am very fond of the coloured resins they use, but don't have any of theirs yet. I do have a lilac Radicelle that is lovely and also a normal coloured bunny called Jax, so I'll have to be satisfied with them for now.

    I am enjoying reading your reviews, keep up the good work!
    Cheers,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, is that the Doll Leaves' Jax that you have? I love the face on that doll - he's fantastic! :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, he's the one, still running about faceless without any clothes.:) Just another of my UFO's.

      Delete
  4. That is indeed an incredibly detailed toy. I'm sure he looks stunning on display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He is a fun one to have around. :)

      Delete
  5. Sorry! Just now seeing your comment on my blog about where to buy hair that matches a vintage Skipper doll (red head) that I lovingly restored. Here is a link of where I purchased that hair! It matches exactly!
    Karen (louvregirl) at Vintage Doll

    http://stores.restoredoll.com/doll-hair-katsilk-saran/

    ReplyDelete