Monday, March 12, 2018

Out of the Box: Kotobukiya ArtFX Star Wars Poe Dameron & BB-8

Up for today's unboxing is the two figurine set of Star Wars' Poe Dameron and BB-8 from Kotobukiya's ArtFX line.  I've had mixed experiences with Kotobukiya's figurines. I loved the single-piece figure of Tali from Mass Effect from their Bishoujo line but was disappointed by the assembly-required Hawkeye from their Marvel Now line which fell apart within hours of opening it.

I've been cautiously enthusiastic about the Star Wars line: the amount of detail on this figures is impressive, but the fact that they have the same multi-piece construction and magnetic base as my Hawkeye figure worried me.  But then a sale + a gift card overruled my caution and I brought this one home.

The PVC figures are 1/10 scale and are labelled as a "model kit" rather than as a statue or figurine, which I found interesting.  While the Poe figure does require assembly, BB-8's head and body are held together via magnet, which worries me (I can imagine it falling off and getting lost easily).





The box.

The inner packaging.
BB-8 comes in three pieces.
Poe comes in five pieces.

Free from the box.
The magnets on the base of each figure seem to stick to the base
better than the Hawkeye figure's did.

Front View: Poe
The level of detail is wonderful, but the angle of his head
makes him awkward to photograph from normal angles.

Rear view: Poe

Front view: BB-8

Rear view: BB-8
Overall, I'm quite pleased with these two. The level of detail is brilliant. And while I'm still not 100% sold on magnetic rather than pegged bases, I was pleased to see that these figures have stronger magnets than my older Hawkeye figure.

While I don't know that I would have picked them up at retail price (this set is generally listed around $90USD), I certainly can't complain.

Do you have any Kotobukiua figures? And are they in solid or multi-piece style? I'd love to hear about your experiences!

A parting glance.


9 comments:

  1. Hello jSarie,
    I am blown away by the sculpted detail. He really looks like Poe from the movies. Great purchase.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Giac. :)

      They really did a great job of sculpting the face to mirror the actor. I'm so impressed with that.

      Delete
  2. I really like the details on Poe, well made. And BB-8 is cute (if I may say so). :) We have some shops, over the net, that sell Kotobukiya and the prizes can differ a lot. I do not own any, but have been looking at a Stormtrooper. Even a K-2SO. The set with R2-D2, C-3PO & BB-8 would be a nice one to have in a collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been eyeing the others in this line too. They're so nicely sculpted!

      The prices do seem to be quite random though, so while I'm happy with this one I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with some of those higher prices.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh I saw this one and was curious about it. The clothing is plastic? It looks a like real clothing a bit, like those RAH figures. I do love the detailing on these two and I think they look very good. I do find it interesting this is classed as a model kit.I've only ever bought a figure from the company "Sebastian from Black Butler" and he's just more a statue figure (no posing etc.) but the detailing on him is really good. I have never bought a model kit figure before though. Maybe if they had Kitana or Wonder Woman, I might look into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clothing is plastic - the detailing is so good that it fools the eye from a distance, which I love. I was really hesitant to buy another Kotobukiya model kit after my first one turned out to be so fragile, but if this one is a sign, I think they've improved on those issues. :)

      Delete
  4. WOW I think this guy looks really great, very realistic. I'm sure this set would be a real hit with any Star Wars fan. I do like the details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my they are great! I loved BB-8 on the movies, but I honestly missed R2D2's "screams". BB is so amazing, and the figures look great. Congrats!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. absoutely great! cool blog too! ew

    ReplyDelete