Sunday, January 27, 2019

DC Comics Bombshells The Batwoman from Funko's Rock Candy line

Being unboxed today is the final figure that I mentioned in my "incoming toys of 2018" summary, A vinyl figurine of Batwoman (in her DC Bombshells form) from Funko's Rock Candy line.

The Rock Candy line is a series of 5 inch/13cm character figures which are more detailed and more proportional when compared to the Funko Pop line. T line was originally dedicated exclusively to female characters (at launch the tagline was "“the most powerful women around" and consisted of superheroine and Barbie characters). The line has since expanded and some recent releases in the line have been male. Each single-piece figure comes with a clear circular stand.

I mentioned the DC Bombshells version of the DC Universe characters when I reviewed my Tonner Batwoman Doll, but for those who are unfamiliar with the sub-brand, these are essentially 1940s-style pinup versions of the characters.

The figures are generally offered for sale at prices between $10 and $15 USD.

Let's take a closer look!



The front of the box.

.
Side view of the box.
.
Rear view of the box.
.
Free from the box, side-view.
The sculpted details of the hair and skirt give a nice
illusion of movement.

.
The opposite side, which has a better view of both the bat
and the buckles on her shoes.
.
Rear view.
.
A parting glance.
Overall, I quite like the extra detail that these figures have compared to the similarly sized (and priced) Pop line. That said, I don't think they have enough appeal on their own to drive me to go out of my way to pick up much of a collection of them.  If I buy more it will be because they're characters that I'm specifically interested in rather than because I'm drawn to the line itself.

Still, if you're looking for vinyl figures that are slightly larger than Titan's and slightly more detailed (or less stylized) than Funko's own Pop line, these are a nice line to fill that gap.

Do you have any of these Rock Candy figures? What do you think of them?

16 comments:

  1. Have never seen these before, but that should come as no surprise, we don't get half the things here that you show JS ... you are very lucky. I do like her shape and hair. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had to order her online, but I have seen other figures in this series in store. :)

      Delete
  2. I think I saw one of these recently in a shop here in Spain, a Comic shop, it had lots of other figures and stuff apart from comics. I like the style of this one, she's great!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      It's funny, I'm staying at my mother's this month and I went and visited my old comic book shop for the first time in 15 years. It used to be 80% comics and 20% collectables, but I think now those numbers are reversed!

      Delete
  3. I love it! I only own a few Rock Candy figures but I'm tempted to pick this one up. My wife cosplays as the Bombshells Batwoman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I bet that's a brilliant-looking cosplay.

      Delete
  4. Pop figures aren't my style, but these look more appealing to me. I love the vintage feel of the box and the hair movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vintage look is definitely what drew me to this! :)

      Delete
  5. I have some Funko Pops, but as you wrote - these Rock Candy Line looks so much more detailed and could fill a gap for those who collect vinyl figurines. I could buy some, if I would find an Alice in Wonderland or some from the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the detail on these. And I think there is an Alice in Wonderland figure, so if you decide to go for it, I hope you find her! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm not quite into DC, but she is cute!! Congrats on getting her!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you got this one. She's looks pretty good. I love these figures because of the retro style. I really want Wonder Woman and they don't have her anywhere in the stores here. They have this one all the time but no Wonder Woman. Like you, I only buy characters I really want in this line and have no interest in collecting all of them. I do have the Harry Potter ones in this line though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The retro style is what drew me in too. I saw one of the Harry Potter ones recently - they're quite cute! :)

      Delete
  8. I really want this Batwoman figure, but here it's almost impossible to get her at a fair price. Since I couldn't get her, my boyfriend got me the Pop! version of DC Bombshells Batwoman. I'm also enjoying the comic book series. The third volumen is coming soon to Spain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you like the Pop! version? I almost ordered that one online but I'd like to see her in person first and I haven't seen them anywhere local yet.

      Delete
    2. I don't like it as much as the Rock Candy version, but is the only one I could get. However, I like her, I think she's very cute.
      I never get to see the Funkos I buy in person before I get them. In stores, they're more expensive and they don't usually carry the ones that I like. Let's just say that I'm not interested in Fortnite Funkos.

      Delete