Tuesday, February 23, 2016

New Blind Bag Minis (and experiments in video)

A Mega Blocks Halo Charlie figure
As part of my plan to do a more extensive cross-line mini figure comparison post in the future, I picked up two new blind bag figures yesterday: one from Mega Bloks' Halo line, and one from the Mighty Minis Batman v. Superman line (which reminded me of a Kinder Surprise toy).

I was impressed at the level of detail and articulation on the Halo figure in particular. And while the Superman figure can't really stand on his own with any ease, his ability to swing his arms goes a long way towards balancing that out (and letting you balance him out!)
Mighty Minis Superman
Bag openings aren't always exciting, so I thought I'd branch out and do videos instead of photo essays for these two. I haven't done any videos for the blog before, so while they're not the greatest, I think it'll be fun to see if I can improve my technique in the future.  And going forward I'll probably add voice over - this week I have a bit of a cold though, so I just added music instead of recording my hoarse voice. And I might need to find a different space to film (wow do my hands look pale against that black background!).





Should I choose different music? Lose the meerkat logo (that needs work, either way, I know)? Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking!

14 comments:

  1. Nice vids!It's cool that you speed up the process when opening and assembling.Watching people do it in real time can sometimes feel like an eternity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Getting bored watching other people putting them together was my inspiration for speeding up those parts - I'm glad it worked.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't have guessed that those figures come in pieces you had to assemble yourself. That's pretty neat.

    I think the video was great and I liked the music personally.

    I had one of those Kinder Surprises at Christmas and I have to say, I did not like the taste at all. I'm kind of amazed kids like to eat that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I went back and forth on the music - I like it, but I was worried it might be a little too electronic for some people. I might have been overthinking it a little though.

      I think Kinder Surprise might be one of those things where the promise of the toy inside makes the chocolate that much sweeter - on its own, not so much. Although they sell bars of it too, so it suits some tastes - I was always in it for the toys, myself (I think my mother still has a box of our old Kinder Suprise toys in her basement somewhere - I should dig those out the next time I visit her)! ;)

      Delete
    2. If in doubt, go with your gut instinct is what I say. I thought the music had an exciting tone which went well with the 'box' opening.

      I got a plastic ring and a crocodile in my Kinder Surprise. I thought I could use it on one of my dolls but it didn't really fit! And the crocodile I gave to the bower birds as I dislike crocodiles quite a bit, crocodiles and snakes, both of those scare the heck out of me. And ironically, there are both where I live in abundance.

      Delete
    3. Ug, crocodiles! We have alligators around here which are bad enough.

      Delete
  3. Hi JSarie! I enjoyed watching your two videos. The music is perfect for the unboxing and the assembling.
    The meerkat logo suits your username, so don't get rid of it. Just work on it until you succeed in creating the lost meerkat logo that really please you.
    Maybe Superman can't stand properly because he is on flight mode. (Very bad joke, forgive me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      And haha! You're right, Superman does have a built-in excuse, doesn't he? LOL :D

      Delete
  4. Nice videos! I enjoyed watching them and they look great! Keep the Meerkat, lol. I am still tweaking and trying to figure out a good format, shooting spot, style, etc, so I understand! That Halo figure is so cool! I would not have guessed it was a small as it is based on the detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did pack a lot of detail into a tiny package with that one, didn't they?

      I've really enjoyed your monthly haul videos btw - watching them was part of what inspired me to try to make some videos of my own! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my! Yes, more of these kids of vids!

    THose can make fore cute "collections" for our sixth scale dolls, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      It's true, they're a great size to make dolls-for-dolls, aren't they?

      Delete
  6. I liked the vids and music! Music was very actiony.

    ReplyDelete