Sunday, February 7, 2016

Out of the Box: John Constantine (DC Collectibles)

I have a few of the Hellblazer-related collectibles from the late '90s in storage (you can see the DC Direct action figure in the background of the introductory photo from my first ever post on this blog), but not being a fan of the non-Vertigo/post New 52 version of the character (and I still haven't gotten around to checking out the full run of last year's TV series), I haven't picked up anything new for years.  But having recently reread Peter Milligan's run on the old series, I was weakened by nostalgia and when I saw a sale on the new John Constantine statue from DC Collectibles on Big Bay Toystore, I ended up ordering this statue.

Before I get into the review, can I just take a minute to complain about some of the box openings I watched while waiting for this statue to ship? Nearly all of them call John a Londoner (one even referred to him as a "Cockney magician") - but the character is supposed to be from Liverpool! 

*ahem* But never mind that, on with the figure!


The first thing that struck me about the box was how minimalistic the artwork is: images of the figure on a white background on two sides, another on a black background on a third, advertising for another figure on the rear (also on a while background), and "Constantine" written in black text across the top.
The front of the box.

.
The top of the box.
.
Picking up the box, I was surprised by how light it felt. Although they're both cold-cast porcelain, this figure weighs significantly less than the older version (I don't have the old one on hand at the moment, but compared to my Preacher statue of the same vintage and weight, the difference is very obvious).

The moulded foam of those older statues is gone, leaving us with standard Styrofoam - in this case three pieces. The figure itself between one and two, and the separate base between pieces two and three.
Lifting the lid.

.
Layer One: the figure.
.
Layer Two: the base
Removing the two pieces from the packaging, I was struck my the detail on them: this might be half the weight of the old releases, but it has twice the detail.  Unfortunately that seems to have also made parts of it a little fragile: the base has tiny candles (in addition to the demonic arms, eyes, and mouths) around the edges. Two of those candles showed signs of having been bent, and on a third the fame had popped off.


Disapointment over the damaged candles aside, I was still quite taken with the amount of detail on the rest of the base and on the figure itself - the demons, the trenchcoat, the face and hands all look fantastic.
Front view.

.
Side view
.
Rear view, for the full billowing coat effect.
.
The base.

It's been years since I've bought a comic statue like this and overall, I have to say I'm impressed by this one. While it's lighter than I expected, it really does have a level of detail that far exceeded my expectations.  That said, it really needed better packing.

As a representation of the character, it's a good likeness of the way he looked during Ray Fawkes' run on Constantine. That's not my favourite version of the character (and part of me thinks the flames coming from his hand are silly, and I should paint his coat and hair black and call him Pete Wisdom and stick him on my Captain Britain shelf), but I knew that when I ordered it, so I can hardly complain about that part.


9 comments:

  1. This is a great figure! I love how the coat and tie are sculpted, very lively, and the candles are nice details. The base is cool too. Too bad about the broken candle and the bad packaging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lively is a great description - for a static figure, they did a nice job of creating the illusion of movement, didn't they? :)

      Delete
  2. Oh Congrats! He is quite detailed and so are the things he came with. Shame about the candles though.

    I actually like the simple box designs, it doesn't detract from the figure which is nice. And I'm really loving the painting and sculpting on his face.

    What did you think of the Constantine series? I have never watched it, only saw him briefly when he did a guest appearance on ... Arrow I think it was.

    I couldn't watch Gotham or Daredevil tv series because of the insane amounts of violence, not really to my taste. I had heard Constantine was similar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      I wasn't a huge fan of the TV series - I felt like it was missing that certain weirdness that the comics used to have. I haven't seen the full series yet (one of these days I probably will though), but from what I did watch, it's much less violent (and weird) than the original comics. I haven't watched Gotham, but I the episodes I saw were probably less violent than Daredevil.

      Delete
  3. I don't know the series from which this character comes but he looks great, as you say, so much detail. But no, London is a long way from Liverpool in miles and in accents!
    Love the trench coat and the little candles.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coat is really outstanding isn't it?

      And thank you for sharing in my head shaking at the regional confusion! ;)

      Delete
  4. I like the movement of him but he seems kinda "light" to me. I feel that if he were darker toned he'd have more oomph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's part of why I wish Marvel would licence some Pete Wisdom figures - he's looks almost exactly like a darker version of John, right down to the trenchcoat and the flames!

      Delete
  5. I realise this is an old post but I stumbled across it looking for candid shots of the statue (I could only find proto ones and we all know they never look like those lol) as unfortunately living in the NE of England stores don't tend to stock this sort of thing to be able to see in person.
    This review helped pull the trigger for me, couldn't be happier! I too had a broken candle flame on opening but nothing a bit of glue won't fix. The movement in the sculpt really makes this piece pop on the shelf, particularly compared to my standard 'A-pose' figures :)

    Thanks again mate, brilliant stuff

    ReplyDelete