Friday, October 24, 2014

Random Toy of the Day: Surprise (My Little Pony)

Surprise, SoSoft Surprise, and Baby Surprise
Is there anything that screams 1980s like this particular shade of neon yellow?  I'd be hard pressed to think of anything that even comes close!

The new resurgence in popularity for the My Little Pony line isn't something I've really understood, but having met huge numbers of fans, I found myself curious about the line.

As a result, basket of ponies came home with me during one of my recent visits to my mother's, and while I was never a huge My Little Pony fan as a child (most of them were my sister's), I've had great fun identifying them all.

I'm especially fond of the clearly retro ones like this trio with their delightfully neon manes and tails.


A slightly different angle


8 comments:

  1. That is almost my favorite color! I absolutely love those.I have more My Little Pony's then any one adult male should admit to owning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! MLP seems to be almost everyone's guilty secret!

      Delete
  2. I had a couple of pieces of clothing in that neon yellow color during the 80's. I totally rocked it.

    That was also back when ponies were allowed to be a little chunky, kind of like... ponies. Now everyone has to be scrawny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet those outfits were fabulous!

      I've been looking over the new ponies recently, and while the bigger ones are quite a bit skinnier (I actually caved and bought one this morning), I think the shorter ones are still pretty filled-out - longer necks though, which does give them quite a different look, I agree.

      Delete
  3. Definitely THE color of that time :-D. I never owned My Little Ponies, but they seem still very popular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen an episode of My Little Pony but I have of course heard of them (same with Care Bears). I didn't know they were so very popular. I'm attending a convention in a few weeks and they are having a My Little Pony Pageant as part of the panel. I have since learned that men who like MLP are called "Bronies."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen the show either (new or old), but I've never been able to avoid them either.

      I joined an MLP forum about a year ago when I decided to start identifying these older toys, and it's hilarious to see how much of the show-story my sister and I totally missed out on. As a kid, I always thought of the flocked ponies as male, but it turns out they're supposed to be female (the male ponies were all draft horses apparently).

      Delete