Monday, October 20, 2014

Out of the Box: Hiccup (Funko Pop How To Train Your Dragon 2)

Funko Pop's Hiccup
I'm still not sure if I think that the big-headed Funko Pop figurines are brilliant or pointless, but it seems I've just picked up my first one, Hiccup from How To Train Your Dragon 2.

The part of me that thinks they're brilliant appreciates the way they make clearly recognizable versions of characters in such a simple form - if you wanted to do some geek decorating, they're certainly more affordable than more detailed figures, and the simple and uniform look means that they can work with a wider variety of styles.  I was visiting a friend a couple of weeks ago whose husband has built a basement toy room, and the Funko Pop case has the cleanest lines and the least cluttered look to it (I wish I'd been able to take some photos!).

On the flip side though I'm conflicted about even calling this a line of action figures since they're not articulated and marketed for display rather than play.  And then there's the blank-eyes, is that cute or creepy?  I'm never quite sure...

In any case, as I mentioned when I looked at the Spinworks Defenders of Berk figures, I'm a fan of the franchise (and a collector of figures with prostheses), so it was probably inevitable that I'd bring this figure home regardless of my thoughts on the line as a whole.

In the box.
The box itself is, as is standard for the line, a white box with colourful cartoonish detailing and a corner window that shows of the figure itself.  Inside, the figurine is cradled in a plastic shell case which means it's simple to open - and to return to the original state, which is great for people who like to alternate between keeping the toy in-box and out-of-box (that would be people who aren't me though: the box went into the recycling bin after I took these photos).
The back of the figure.
 The detailing on the figure actually surprised me - for all that the face is two circles and a nose, the body is actually quite nicely detailed.  The armour, boot, prosthesis and sword all have  a solid level of sculpted detail and a well-selected colour scheme.
From the front.

I have to say, for all time I spent debating whether or not to pick this figure up, he's really grown on me; I think I may find myself adding another from the line to keep him company soon.  Possibly more than one - I've been thinking about giving the Lootcrate subscription box service a try, and they seem to include Funko figures fairly regularly (if you're a subscriber, how are you feeling about it?).  We shall see!

8 comments:

  1. I have also been tempted to buy this guy but so far Iv only bought female POP's and he wouldn't really fit in with the others.He is cool looking though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, maybe he'd enjoy having all those females surrounding him! ;)

      Delete
  2. What I like about these figures is that they do manage to imbue the characters they represent. With nominal facial details they still get across who it's supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, they do a nice job of distilling the essence of the characters into something that translates into something so simple.

      Delete
  3. I'm always drawn to such simple face features on a doll/figure, it's a great design on this little fellow :-). He's really cute, I find the range of these figures great, they make some very funny and unique stuff. I would love to see all your prostheses dolls in one picture some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to group them together and take a photo one of these days! :)

      And I agree, the simplicity is a big part of the appeal of these figures.

      Delete
  4. Although the face of these figures is simple, they're lovely and I can see their body is quite detailed to the kind of figure it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, the contrast of the simple face and detailed body is what makes them special, isn't it? :)

      Delete