Monday, January 26, 2015

Minimates Week: Mass Effect Blind Bags

Wrex, Liara and Tali
I've been on the fence about Diamond Select's Minimates line for a while now.  On the one hand, they offer a wide variety of pop culture figures which are generally very detailed for the size.  On the other, they're Lego-style figures (although slightly larger than actual Lego-brand people), which makes them challenging to display in a non-cluttered way.  That would make sense if they were sold as play figures, but they're very much aimed at the collector market.



Still, being solidly in that market myself, it was probably only a matter of time before I ended up with one or two (or twenty, but that's a story for another post), and on Saturday three of the figures from their Mass Effect series came home with me.
The front of the bag.

The Mass Effect Minimates are a Gamestop exclusive blind bag release of seven figures.  I'm normally not a fan of blind bags, but these are at least true bags (unlike the boxes that some lines are using these days), so it's possible to guess the figures inside by feeling the bags.
The back of the bag.

I picked up Wrex, Tali and Liara, all of which had enough sculpted detail that they were easy to identify through the bags.  I wasn't able to find Garrus, but I think he's be equally easy to recognize by feel.  Luckily I'm not a completionist collector, so I wasn't interested in the human figures (I don't play default Shepard(s) and Ashley died in 6 out of my 7 games), although I think they could probably be distinguished by the differences in their hair.

Each figure has the basic 15-piece body (Wrex has the most obvious scuplted extra details, but Liara and Tali have sculpted heads as well)  Each figure also includes at least one accessory: Wrex has a firearm, Liara a handgun and biotic blast, and Tali a handgun and omnitool.
Wrex

Liara 

Tali.
Detailing on the back of Tali
Minimates Tali compared to DC Direct Tali
I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do with this figures, but I liked them enough that I started looking into other Minimates releases... and I'll be posting about some Excalibur, X-Force, and Star Trek: DS9 figures later in the week.  I may have gone a little overboard, but hey - at least they're small!

6 comments:

  1. Ha, going overboard once in a while is okay :-). So you have to feel what figure is inside the bag, you are good at it as you got the ones you wanted :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I saw your picture, I thought of LEGO, so I was happy that you do as well. At one point, LEGO blind bags had a separate bar codes for each figure. They stopped that when LEGO fans starting posting online which bar code matched which figure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, so I guess the Lego-fans have to fondle the bags to figure out what they're getting as well, eh?

      Delete
  3. I like them! They are like curious little oddities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! "Curious little oddities" is a perfect description! :)

      Delete