Friday, August 21, 2015

New Arrival: Caleb (Sasha Doll)

Back in June, I posted about being on the lookout for a new-to-me Sasha doll to add the the collection and to hold the place of the two (a Sasha baby and a Gregor Dark) that are in storage back in Canada (why I didn't bring them along, I do not know).  After several failed bids and negotiations on a few Calebs, a pair of Prince Gregors and a brunette Sasha, I finally snagged a Caleb last weekend - and today he arrived at the door!

Since the last time I received a new Sasha doll was 1985, I had a total blast of childhood nostalgia from unwrapping him.



He didn't come with a box, but he does appear to have his full original outfit (and wrist tag), and seems to have been primarily a display doll.  His condition isn't quite perfect - he was displayed on a waist-stand, and as a result his knit top is stretched where the hooks sat, and there's a thin indentation in the vinyl on his torso, but aside from that I'd say he's actually in better condition than I expected.

And honestly, even if he'd been in worse condition I would probably have been just as excited (my sister and I were just reminiscing about how sad we were the year the Sashas stopped appearing the Pastorini Spielzeug's catalogues back in the '80s, so I was clearly in the mood for this arrival).
Caleb (also included was the stand that caused the damage)

In sunlight.
Some size comparisons, for anyone who might be curious:
Between American Girl Cecile and Hearts for Hearts Surjan

Between SD13 Irvin and SDC Miko
Once he's been around for a bit longer I'll give him a proper photo session, but that's for another day - for now I just wanted to share my excitement over his arrival. :)
A parting glance.

30 comments:

  1. He is wonderful - congratulations on his arrival! If I was you, I would ditch the stand, these great dolls generally don't need stands unless their stringing is loose. I have a friend who makes some great wooden stands especially for Sasha and Gregor dolls that don't damage the dolls, if you really want for him.

    He looks to be in fabulous condition. Enjoy him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      And you're right, he should be stand free. :)

      Delete
  2. Applause! Congratulations on getting Caleb. He looks adorable. His hair looks crispyly curly. Thanks for sharing these photos with us. Fun to see him with your other kids and teens. You didn't get the others because this guy was in the wings.

    Break into Snoopy's dance. Yay, Caleb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      And it's true, his hair really is just about perfect.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I swear between you and Black Doll Collecting opening my eyes up to some really great dolls I am being so enabled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      As for enabling, everyone needs more dolls, right? ;)

      Delete
  4. Congratulation JS, Caleb is a handsome doll. The stretched part of the sweater should recover it's shape with a gentle hand wash and with a different stand he'll look as good as new.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweater-recovery tip - I'll give that a try! :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! Your Caleb is a beautiful doll, he's adorable :-). I had a Gregor myself, he was very cute too, but I prefer Caleb now, he's the cutest! I'm very happy for you that you found this Caleb, his hair looks like new and he's in great condition! Enjoy him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is a really handsome fellow, congrats on his safe arrival! He looks in great condition and maybe you could get the indentations in his torso out with some boiling water?
    I recently got my first black Cora and she's so pretty, I just find her a little harder to photograph but definitely worth having.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      That's a good tip about the boiling water - I'll have to give that a try. :)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on getting a great doll! I agree with Dana; sometimes I think we are meant to get the dolls that we get, and the others weren't meant to be. Looks like a great addition to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on snagging Caleb! I have the exact same doll.

    I love their ability to hold poses, even in the absence of articulation. Enjoy Caleb!

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's true, they're sturdy posers, aren't they? :)

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on getting your Caleb! He looks wonderful.,

    The Sasha-makers always did a nice job of achieving a thoughtful, enigmatic expression. He looks like he's thinking hard and is about to go investigate something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Heh, he does have a thoughtful expression, doesn't he? :)

      Delete
  10. He looks quite somber and studious, as though he quotes periodic tables for amusement. I like him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that characterization for him - he can be the clever one! :)

      Delete
  11. Hey j!Just wanted to let you know that I deleted my old blog,Action Figure Tactics, and started this new one http://toy-break.blogspot.com/ Stop In whenever ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cutie pie...I had never even heard of Sasha dolls until I found Sharon (from Spain's blog) and saw all of her lovely collection. These dolls are so endearing to me for some reason. Their faces are so soft and simple, yet it's like there is a personality there, waiting to be brought out. I really like Caleb...his coloring is so beautiful..enjoy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      There is a certain magic to the faces, isn't there? I think that's a big part of their charm. :)

      Delete
  13. He is adorable. I think the Sascha dolls are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I definitely think they were a fabulous line. :)

      Delete
  14. Such a precious doll! I might try to get one Sasha doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should - they're wonderful dolls! :)

      Delete