Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Out of the Bag: Punisher & Green Goblin (Hasbro's Marvel 500 Series 1)

From the Marvel 500 line: Green Goblin & the Punisher
It seems like every month I swear off of mystery mini figures, and yet somehow every month I'm back with more.  But at least this time there's one difference: they're micro-mini figures!

The Marvel 500 series is a blind bag micro-mini toy line (they're about a third of the size of Funko's mini figures) that sells for around $2.50USD.  There are 24 figures in series one, and they're sold in single mystery bags.  The figures themselves are very basic - no articulation and limited painting, but for the size and price that shouldn't come as much of  a surprise. The two that I opened turned out to be the Punisher and the Green Goblin.

The bag.
 Each figures come on a simple plastic base, and each one is accompanied by a two-side card that illustrates all of the figures in the series.
The full contents.
Free from the packaging, they look like this:
The Punisher
The Green Goblin
Overall, the figures are decent enough, although I think the tiny size would makes them less-than-ideal for younger kids (I can see my nephew losing them within 10 minutes), and the lack of detail compared to other minis figures might make them a harder sell for some collectors.

14 comments:

  1. These blind bags are all the rage these days aren't they? What a genius marketing tool I think companies have tapped into. I can't resist the mini blind bag My Little Ponies and Care Bears, to be honest...they are remind me of my beloved toys growing up and at the price you can't beat it! I think your action figure minis are pretty cool and would even make good accessories for a doll room. It's a little disappointing that they don't really have any facial details/paint though, but I love their poses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have fabulously dynamic poses, it's true. And that's a great point about them being the right size to be dolls-for-dolls!

      Delete
  2. There's no end to the blind bag madness!That Punisher looks great!I could see collectors taking to their paint brushes to touch up on the lesser detailed ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a fine-enough brush to the faces and these guys would look more finished pretty quickly.

      Delete
  3. The Green Goblin is cool :-). I don't think we have this blind bag thing over here, but 'm not sure, it's a fun concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were a trend that started in Japan that's just spread all over. You might not have this line, but I'm pretty sure you have a few of the other ones (I think the last time I was in Belgium I remember some of my cousins' kids were having collected some similar-looking Disney toys).

      They are fun - it's always nice to have a surprise, right? :)

      Delete
  4. Haven't heard of blind bags before JS, so can't really comment on them apart from the ones you've shown. They actually remind me of the toys we used to get out of the Cereal packets when I was a kid. :)
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good comparison - they are quite like that!

      Delete
  5. i love the Punisher, I need him on my desk at work. I think my son has two or three of them around here somewhere or at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally do. Mine is sitting on my desk right now.

      Delete
  6. They look pretty rad! Do kids still say "rad?" Probably not, lol. I would not like getting duplicates so I shy away from blinds like these and those Shopkins(sp?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like the bags better than the blind boxes for that reason - at least with these ones you can feel the bags to make sure you're not getting duplicates. Those boxes are just frustrating!

      Delete
  7. Is it just me or does the Punisher's left gun look almost as large as he? Lil dude is packing serious weaponry ;-)

    ReplyDelete