Monday, August 31, 2015

Out of the Box: "Canterwood Crest" Breyer Horses

Reading Serenata's The Grand Summer Gymkhana post reminded me that I was planning to post about of a pair of Breyer Horse figures that I picked up recently.

When I was 10 years old, I remember going to a horse show and picking up a miniature Breyer catalogue from one of the sponsor booths.  I was fascinated by all the detailed models of different breeds and various famous horses and carried that booklet around with me for months. I never actually owned any of those models though, and I eventually forgot about them until I started reading reviews of them over on Traci's A Wild Review Appears blog.



So when some discounted figures popped up on Zulily a few months ago, I decided to order a couple of them and see what they were like.

In the box: Set 1
The two figures that I ordered are tie-ins to the equestrian-themed YA-novel series "Canterwood Crest", and are meant to portray horses from the books and packaged with one of the novels from the series (which I haven't read, so I can't speak to the quality).
Set #2, containing the second book in the series.
The back of the box.
The figure and book are attached to an inner cardboard sleeve that slides out of the outer box.  Both items were strapped to the box with twist-ties - one around the centre of the book, and five on the horse (tied to each hoof and one leg).
The inner packaging.
Freed from the packaging, I was surprised by how light weight the horses were - somehow I had always imagined that they'd be more sturdy.  Weight aside, I was impressed by the realistic details of the sculpts and paint on them.
Horse #1: front view.
Horse #1: side view

Horse #2, who has the less dynamic pose of the two
Horse #2: reverse side view.
While I like the way these horses look in photos and on a shelf, the lightness really threw me.  I'm not sure why; Maybe because the smaller Schliech horses are so heavy and I expected these to be scaled up versions of those?

I don't know that I'll be adding more of them to my collection, since now my curiosity has been sated, but I'm not sorry that I picked these up - and I'm sure my 10-year-old self would have been absolutely thrilled with them.

A parting glance at the pair.




18 comments:

  1. They certainly are sculpted well. You can see lots of sinewy muscle. I was into rodeos and 4H and farming as a kid but I just never fell in love with horses. I do have several toy ones though. I even bought one so my Xena doll could ride it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, nice! I should see which figures fit these guys.

      Delete
  2. The horses look very realistic, they are very nice! I also like the attractive packaging. Your post reminds me of a horse I found a while ago, I should make a post so it may be identified (it makes sounds of a gallop and does: brwwwrrrr!!!! ( = horse voice hahaha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, a horse voice! I'd be curious to see this talking horse of yours. :)

      Delete
    2. That sounds like my Clementine doll for the 8" Madeline doll line! I'd like to see the horse too.

      Delete
    3. Doll! Pfft! I meant HORSE! I have dolls on the brain.

      Delete
    4. I'll try to make a video and post it, it would be great if it was identified!

      Delete
  3. Hi JS!
    Lovely looking horses, I must say. Pity about their weight, but they would make great toys for larger dolls I would imagine.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      They're a bit of a strange size - a little too small to be in scale with a fashion doll, but too large to be convincing as a plaything for the bigger ones. But I'll figure something out! :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on getting a childhood wanted item.

    I remember seeing Breyer horse sets in Christmas catalogs. Some had riders included. They were smaller than Barbies though - possibly Dawn (Topper) size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Dawn-size sounds like it might be about right. I'm going to have to see who I have in that size and see if they work with this guys.

      Delete
  5. These horses may be light but they look really great! So these would fit what size of doll would you say? I have a horse here that I picked up at a flea market last winter and keep meaning to do something to make it look more realistic as it is from the Nancy range of dolls and has a lilac main and tail....and very long eyelashes and inset blue eyes! LOL......Oh and a butterfly on it's butt!
    Yes, very realistic!!!
    Love these horses of yours though, they're great!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, sounds like you have a pretty pony princess on your hands! ;)

      I'm thinking these horses will work with 25cm/10" dolls. I'm going to do some experimenting to be certain though.

      Delete
  6. The Breyer horses are very realistic. Like you I need to make sure if I add them to my collection I will enjoy them. They do look photograph well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, regardless of what I think about the weight, they're a good-looking pair. :)

      Delete
  7. Great review! I think I would be disappointed by the weight as well because they look like they would be pretty solid. I've been interested in adding a few Breyers as well as I think some perspective photography would be really fun to try to make it look like they are real. I wonder if all Breyers are lighter than they appear? Luckily they have such nice details :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the highest-end Breyers might be a bit heavier (there seem to be three slightly different size ranges for them - these are the middle one), but I don't know. It would be interesting to find out!

      Delete