Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Random Toys of the Day: Heroclix Midnighter, Apollo and Jenny Quantum

Apollo, Jenny Quantum, Midnighter
A while ago I realized that I've never shared any photos of my Heroclix game pieces outside of a few background appears in size comparison shots, so I thought I'd start to remedy that and take a few of them outside from some photo time.  They're fairly straightforward, so I won't do a full review, but I still wanted to give them some attention.

Heroclix figures are usually around 3cm in height, making them between 1/43 and 1/45 scale (also known as model railroad scale). The game that these pieces are used in is a grid-based board game - there are hundreds of game pieces available from dozens of different franchises. While I'm not a board game person, the variety of character figures that are available means that I have picked up several none-the-less.



The three figures that I'm looking at today are Midnighter, Apollo and Jenny Quantum in their Authority/Wildstorm-era incarnations. In those days this trio was a family - Midnighter and Apollo were de-aged with DC's new 52 revamp (the characters are now in their early 20s), so obviously now they're no longer a middle-aged married couple with a teenage daughter. Jenny, being the spirit of the 21st century, had to keep her same-as-the-century age, although her character was changed quite a bit as well).  Of course all of that means that I'm hopefully that they'll release new versions of these guys as well!
Rear view.
For such tiny figures, these all have a solid amount of sculpted detail and decent paint jobs.  While the tiny size means they don't make an impressive display on their own, in groups I think there are a lot of things you can do with them (aside from playing the game they're designed for, of course).

A parting glance.


8 comments:

  1. Gotta love the reboots! I was going to ask you if you've ever played a game with your HeroClix, but you answered that. Mr. BTEG has some of these too, but I'm not sure if he's ever gamed with them. He ran a few Pirates of the Caribbean games at conventions as a representative for WizKids back in the day, so he got some as swag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it seems like all reboots all the time, right? ;)

      I thought I remembered that you'd mentioned once that your other half had a couple of these - do you remember which ones they are?

      Delete
  2. OMG JS they are so tiny! Much too tiny for my big hands. But there's one advantage of having them that small, they don't take up a lot of space. :)
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are small, so yup easy to store and easy to break! ;)

      Delete
  3. I was just going to say they look pretty detailed for their size! So tiny but very well crafted. The game they are from sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound interesting, doesn't it? It must get expensive though, some of the rarer pieces are seriously pricey - these ones were all around $3US, but I've seem some in the $30 to $50 range, which seems like a lot for something so small!

      Delete
  4. I have never heard of these or seen them before, they're soooo incredibly tiny but you can definitely still see the details are good. You have such interesting things in your collection!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      Having these almost makes me want to check of the model train shops and see what kinds of accessories they have in his scale. I probably don't have room for that kind of new collection though!

      Delete