Sunday, July 5, 2015

Random Toy of the Day: American Girl Mini Grace

Grace
This is a quick follow-up post to the duelling Samanthas of two weeks ago where I mentioned that I'd also picked up one of AG's modern dolls: the mini version of Grace, their 2015 Girl of the Year (a limited-run character doll that they release each year).

Mini Grace here is my first foray into AG modern dolls. I thought the full-sized doll was charming, but I'm trying to limit my full-sized AGs to one per face mold, so this one would have been a duplicate.  But not picking up the big one was no reason not to buy the mini, so when I found her on Amazon for a significant discount ($14USD versus the $24 price direct from AG), I decided to add her to the collection.

The doll comes in the standard miniature version of the full sized doll box and is accompanied by a partial version of the first book in her series.



In the box.
As I mentioned in Samantha's review, they scaled down the books when they revamped the line - and maybe it's just that I have terrible eyesight, but I think they went a full font size too small to make the new books properly readable.

Grace and her tiny new book, and Ivy with the older size.
The doll itself has the same body as the new Samantha, so but has a different head (she shares Josefina's face) and unique face painting (this one is freckled).  The face is nicely painted, and the hair (which is mid-length and partially braided is soft and seems to stay need easily).

Grace, up close.
On the downside, the outfit is terrible.  The full sized doll's version of the same is a multi-piece ensemble, but instead of scaling that down, they gave the mini a onesie.  And not a cleverly disguised one either - the outfit is obviously not made up of multiple pieces, which makes the whole thing look cheap (the t-shirt portion is also much too short, so the proportions look off as well).  I do love the faux-leather boots though.
"Save me from my terrible clothes!"
Disappointment in the outfit aside, I do think this is a cute mini-doll, so I don't regret picking her up (although I'm glad I didn't pay full price).  And once she gets a new outfit, I think she may end up being one of my favourites of the line.

My mini AG line-up.


16 comments:

  1. I like the boots. They look soft and comfortable. Is she missing a beret? The girl in the art is wearing one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sell the beret as an extra accessory for the full size doll, but since the minis only get the basic outfit, there's no beret for this girl. Which is too bad - I always like a doll with a hat!

      Delete
  2. Wow, they really did cheap out on the clothing for her..what a shame! That is really awesome that you found her for $14! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been disappointed in the new mini AG dolls....I agree with you about the books as well. I prefer the feel of the original ones in the hand, but appreciate that the newer ones being all plastic have a more round pose ability about them. A great price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, wasn't it? :)

      I'm torn on the new minis - I really appreciate that the bodies are more display (and play) friendly now, but the cheapness of the new outfits and books is such a shame (especially with the general price increase at the same time).

      Delete
  4. Hi JS!
    What a bargain! Doesn't it feel wonderful when you find a doll you love at a price that's more than reasonable. :) I quite like this gal, she has teeth and you know I am a sucker for dolls with teeth, but I will stick to my BJD's for now.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - Teeth always give a doll character, don't they? :)

      Delete
  5. Grace is cute and I love her fashion.

    dg

    ReplyDelete
  6. She has a cute little face, so it is a shame about the outfit...it could have been so much better because the idea behind it is good, and it wouldn't have been much of a hardship from them to make it in several pieces. Cost cutting I guess?
    But yes the boots are cute looking.
    I wouldn't mind getting one of these dolls as a doll for my dolls :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a fun addition for you - They really are the perfect size for dolls-for-dolls! :)

      Delete
  7. It's too bad about the outfit, but probably not surprising. Even having improved recently, Mattel clothes overall still don't rate up to some of the older stuff. Different times.

    Do you think there's any chance of those boots staining?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't be 100% sure, but I think they're colour-safe.

      I've actually never had issues with AG clothes staining, so - knock wood - hopefully that trend will continue. For this size, I think Carpatina is the worst for it, at least in my experience. Gorgeous clothes, but I've had one or two of theirs that left the doll stained within minutes!

      Delete
  8. Her clothes look cheap. It's too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a shame they didn't put just a little more effort into it.

      Delete